Monday, July 23, 2012

To My baby Girl Hadya on her 1st Birthday

Lil Baby Hadya,

You stole my heart the second I saw the ‘positive’ reading on the test; even though every ounce of my being was petrified of the journey and the trailblazing it would entail in order to get to meet you. I knew you were brave enough to make it all the way to our arms, I just hoped against all rational hope that I was as well.
When we brought you home from the hospital, daddy and I would playfully fight over who got to hold you. We both wanted you in our arms every second of the day and loved the feeling of your soft cheeks as we rocked you and covered you with kisses before bedtime.
I knew this day was coming, I knew the past year would fly by, but I had no idea how fast. I promised myself I wouldn't be sad that you were growing up, but instead feel the utmost gratitude that despite our obstacles, you are healthy; you are able to blossom, thrive, change, and learn; when there are so many little angel babies who do not live to see their 1st birthday.
This year has been the quickest of my life. I look back and see a blur of Baji holding your hand for the first time, fighting with everything I had to breastfeed you, even if it was against medical advice, I wanted to give you the best start possible,  your first taste of a orange (which you utterly enjoyed), your my frightening visit to the clinic for your routine injections, our first holiday trip as a family to Phuket, walks with you and Baji, you laughing in your sleep, those seconds when you lock eyes with mine and you let me know you've been our destiny all along. You and daddy also have your special moments. You are definitely a daddy’s girl and it fills me with immense joy when I see you two caught up in your own little world of giggles and snuggles.
During our time together that we have already been blessed with, you have taught me more than anyone else ever has. You have introduced me to an entirely fresh facet of love. Your first cry was the most beautiful sound my ears have ever basked in. I ached to hold you whenever I’m out or at work. I cried on my 1st road trip holiday with Baji without you ( it was hell for 2 nights for me, NEVER would I do it again! ). 
I didn't think it was possible, but I am more thankful for you today than I was on the day you were born. The more I learn, the more I read, the more I slowly grasp how remarkable the fact is you are here today. You are breathing, growing, loving, teasing, laughing, scolding, shouting and I find all moments magical.
You have made me consider big things this year. You've taught me how to truly laugh again. You have stretched my heart to the limit where I had no choice but to BELIEVE again and surrender to the magic that is tangled up in every single minute.
You inspire me to be the best version of myself, to love deeper, to take more chances, to live with reckless abandon, to walk through each day with a good dose of wonder and whimsy. I want to teach you so many things. I want to lead the way for you in your fabulous little life.
I will always be there for you. Never once I would want you to feel alone!
Cheers to you, baby girl, on your first big day. May the year ahead be one filled with wonderment, learning, exploring, and having fun on this life’s amazing journey. We encourage you to find your way, but please know Baji and I will be there to catch you when you fall.
Click to play this Smilebox collage
Lots of Love,
Ummi

No comments:

Post a Comment